Rest Day - July 25th, 2019

My plan for my posts during this trip is that at the end of each day I would reflect on and write about the day. Often I’ve been so tired that writing is difficult. Sometimes I’ve made a list of topics to cover the next morning from the point of view of the previous evening. Neither way seems ideal. If I write when I’m too tired I think my writing is not as interesting as it could be, and I forget to write about thoughts I’ve had during my ride. If I write the next morning my departure is delayed, with the result that I ride later in the day when it’s hotter. Another possibility is to write after my shower and before dinner. I’m fresh at that time, but if I have to ride to get dinner I want to be back before sunset. Tonight I’m writing after dinner. We’ll see how I deal with these issues through the rest of my journey.


I don’t feel like writing much tonight, but for the sake of the record I’ll say that today I swam in the lake, washed all my clothes, repaired a torn seam in my rear bag, adjusted the cable of my front derailleur, and had my brother Greg adjust my headset.

A package from home is supposed to arrive tomorrow with supplements, shifters, a front derailleur, shop gloves, and a handkerchief I’ll use as a rag. I wonder why the USPS website says they have not yet received the package. I hope the problem is with the tracking system and not the delivery.

Tomorrow I’ll have a phone call with someone from Boomerang to see whether my Cyclotrac bike tracker can be made functional. So far it has been dead weight.

With about two thirds of my journey in the past I wonder what sort of adventures await me in the final month of my trip. I could be home as soon as four weeks from yesterday.

Comments

Popular Posts