Riding Day 38 - July 17th, 2019

Start: Gladstone, IL
End: Fairfield, IA
Miles: 73.4
Feet climbing per mile: 45
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37391908

Sunrise at the Henderson County Conservation Area

Yesterday’s pain in my left ankle suggested that one or more bones were displaced, perhaps due to my crash on March 25th. In an attempt to avoid the pain I experienced yesterday, I wrapped my left ankle with tape and wore two socks on each of my feet. I don’t know whether the tape helped, but the extra socks help to fill the shoes and to some extent prevented my feet from sliding forward. Both of my feet were much more comfortable than yesterday.


My route again included some gravel roads, and I spent a lot of time rerouting around them. I do wish Google Maps bicycle directions had an option “Paved roads only”. Until they do I must check my routes more carefully.


At about mile 24 I saw a sign saying “Road closed in 3.5 miles - Local traffic only”. Someone driving a truck in the opposite direction told me he thought I would be able to get through, so I took and chance and continued. A few miles later I saw that a bridge was being built over Mud Creek. When I started to walk across the construction sited I was told I couldn’t go through. I stood there several minutes and then asked that they make an exception for me. Eventually I was told to go ahead as soon as the crane swung around.





I rode into Fairfield, a town I have visited a number of times, and went directly to Cafe Paradiso to order an Italian smoothie. It was horrible, consisting of milk and ice with no taste of the fruit I had ordered. Another customer, Haddington O’Heart, observed my displeasure and suggested I go to Andy’s Juice Joint in the convention center (the smoothie I got there was excellent). When Haddington told me he was a chiropractor I asked whether he ever dealt with ankle bones out of place. He said the person I should see was Dr. Mike McConeghey. I called Dr. Mike and got an appointment for later in the afternoon. After some completely comfortable manipulations my left ankle felt completely fine, and has continued to do so. Dr. Mike also addressed some lingering trouble in my left arm related to my crash of March 25th, and some lingering trouble in my right knee that has diminished over the last six years or so. I’m amazed at how much help Dr. Mike was able to give me in an hour. I look forward to another session tomorrow.

Jim and Ginger Belilove were originally planning to be here to host me, but because of my delays they are in New York in my home, visiting my wife Lori (Jim’s sister), while I stay in theirs.

Comments

Popular Posts