Riding Day 35 - July 14th, 2019

Start: Champaign, IL
End: Le Roy, IL
Miles: 43.0
Feet climbing per mile: 23
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37263646

Today, being the fourth consecutive riding day since my previous rest days, was to be a relatively easy day. The morning started with a tour of Leslie’s garden, my favorite feature of which is the waterfall. How pleasant it is to sit on the bench and listen to the sound of the water!


With my new shoes, cleats, and pedals I rode around the neighborhood to make sure I knew how to use the new equipment before departing. Walking in mountain bike shoes is so much easier than in road bike shoes. I should have followed the advice of Tom Reingold and Nelson Diaz, who independently advised me against taking road bike shoes.

Late this afternoon I rode through another windmill farm. I didn’t count, but I would guess there were dozens of windmills.

I'm spending the night at the Moraine View State Recreation Area. The water was warmer than ideal but my swim at the beach was thoroughly refreshing.


When I set up my tent a few hours ago there was no rain in the forecast, but now there is so I’ve installed the rain fly.

My campsite at the Moraine View State Recreation Area

I’ve decided I will follow my original plan of riding to Fairfield, IA. Tomorrow I will visit, but not stay with, my nephew Jonathan in Peoria, and then continue on to Brimfield where I will spend the night with Wence Czernecki, a friend I haven’t seen in decades.

Comments

Popular Posts