Riding Day 28 - July 5th, 2019

Start: Burns, TN
End: Dover, TN
Miles: 60.6
Feet climbing per mile: 72
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36854249

The first challenge of the day was removing one of the stakes that didn’t want to budge. When I put two other stakes through the loop of the stake and pulled on the two stakes, I broke the loop. With 15 minutes or so of digging around the stake eventually it was free.


The roads today were again curving with rolling hills. Often there was a wide shoulder, again freeing me of the need for extreme vigilance about whether traffic behind me will make a safer pass. There were a few short but very steep climbs.

 
Columbia, TN

Part of the swelling I discovered around my eyes yesterday is not just puffiness from salty food. My left eye has a stye. Fortunately it does not interfere with my vision.

A few days ago I forgot to mention a Tennessee dog that chased me. Actually it would be more accurate to say he raced me, because, unlike the maniac in Georgia that was in attack mode, this dog stayed alongside me on the shoulder while I rode the middle of the lane.

Shortly before checking into the Dover Inn Motel I visited the Dover Hotel, also known as Surrender House, where General Buckner surrendered to General Grant in 1862. How strange that Buckner and Grant were friends who graduated from West Point together fighting on opposite sides of our Civil War.


Today was my sixth consecutive riding day since my four rest days in Marietta. I have two more riding days until I stay in Carbondale at the home of Dave and Connie Nadolski. I wish I could have split these eight days with a rest day at a home stay, but that didn’t work out.

Comments

Popular Posts