Riding Day 33 - July 12th, 2019

Start: Carlyle, IL
End: Springfield, IL
Miles: 104.8
Feet climbing per mile: 24
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37156247

With a 101-mile ride planned for today I went to bed last night at 10:00 and set my alarm for 5:00. I woke at 4:45 and was on my way at 6:00. Getting an early start was a big help in completing today’s long ride. In order to deal with the long straight flat roads I would make challenges for myself, such as riding out of the saddle in my highest gear until I got to some landmark such as a group of trees way ahead of me on the road.

I discovered last night that I Ieft one of my two USB adapters at Dave Nadolski’s house, This is only the second item I’ve lost on this trip, the first being a tube of Aquaphor I left in my room at the Park Vista Inn. I ordered another adaptor from Amazon. It was delivered today to Lanny Arvan with whom I will stay tomorrow night.

Thomas Rees Memorial Carillon

Because Jim and Ginger Belilove will not be in Fairfield when I would arrive, because I’m planning to add a day in order to spend a night with my nephew Jonathan in Peoria, and because I want to arrive in Chetek the middle of the week when my siblings Greg, Cathy, and Peggy will be there (how’s that for a preamble?), I’m considering omitting Fairfield from my itinerary. I need to determine how I’ll get from Brimfield to Eau Claire.

I ate my dinner at Weebles Bar & Grill, a short walk from my campsite. I thought the band Broken Stone was excellent, their lead singer outstanding.


I'm spending the night at Riverside Park Campground. Although Mike Macewich and I stayed here in 1973 on a bike trip from Springfield to Chicago, I don’t recognize anything about it. I wonder whether it has been substantially expanded. The Thomas Rees Memorial Carillon looks exactly as I remember it.

My campsite at Riverside Park Campground

Comments

Popular Posts