Rest Day - July 9th, 2019

I was ready for a break after riding nine consecutive days since my previous rest days in Marietta. I’ll be here, in the home of Dave and Connie Nadolski, for one more day before I leave Thursday morning. Staying in the home of a friend feels like visiting him even though he’s not here.

Ginger, my gentle companion for my home stay

A few days ago I was wondering how re-entry into normal life will be. Since then I’ve wondered how life would be if there were never re-entry, if I were to live the rest of my life riding from destination to destination, visiting friends and family and making new friends.

The density of my experience in the last seven weeks is unlike anything I had previously known. Every riding day is the same in that I pack my gear, ride to my next destination, set up camp or settle in to a home or motel, eat dinner, and go to sleep. Meanwhile every day is different with regard to the terrain, the destination, the people I meet, how I get my dinner, and how I solve the other problems I encounter.

One purpose of this blog is to share my experience with others, but perhaps the more important purpose is to create a record for myself. In my reading of some book in Behavioral Economics (I recall neither the book nor the author) I remember a question being posed regarding whether one would be willing to pay to have experiences that couldn’t be remembered. I didn’t have a clear answer, but my blog is a way for me to remember the many experiences I’m having on this journey.

Comments

Popular Posts