Riding Day 45 - July 28th, 2019

Start: Chetek, WI
End: Medford, WI
Miles: 94.6
Feet climbing per mile: 36
Records of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/51537421

Departing from Chetek

When will I learn to leave well enough alone? Yesterday evening, after I saw a parts diagram for my front shifter, I attempted to improve its functioning by adjusting its installation. This morning my brother Greg found a spring on the ground that had come from the shifter. I didn’t have time to reinstall the spring, so after my work yesterday the shifter functions worse, rather than better. I now have the tension on the shifter at the maximum, but when the chain is on the large ring and I get out of the saddle, within thirty seconds the front derailleur starts moving toward the small ring.


After entering the town of Cornell over a bridge, I discovered that Main Street has two ice cream shops. Of course I stopped at both of them, enjoying black cherry ice cream by the same company both times.



Today’s ride was supposed to be 70 miles, but I found the Chippewa Campground so unappealing, with no outlets in the bathrooms, no campsites with outlets, and no camp hosts available, but with plenty of mosquitos eager to consume my blood, that I decided to ride 27 miles to a motel, bringing the day's total to 97 miles. Much of the extra 27 miles was in medium to heavy rain.

After arriving at Boarders Inn & Suites I had a quick shower and walked across the parking lot to Sue's Medford Cafe.  As I was waiting for my dinner to be brought to me I thought, "I just rode 95 miles and I'm not tired".

The extra 27 miles I rode today was on the 64-mile route to tomorrow’s destination, leaving a short ride of only 37 miles.

Comments

Popular Posts