Riding Day 36 - July 15th, 2019

Start: Le Roy, IL
End: Brimfield, IL
Miles: 77.8
Feet climbing per mile: 32
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37305854

After completing a phone call to remove late fees and interest charges from a credit card account, at 6:20 I left my tent to pack my gear and was on the road 55 minutes later, which I believe is my shortest time so far.

The adventure began at mile 4 when I rerouted using Google Maps driving directions (avoiding highways) in order to not have to ride on a gravel-covered road. The change increased my distance a little, a small price to pay for a better surface.

After riding about twenty miles it appeared that I might arrive in Peoria as early as 12:30 where I was scheduled to meet my nephew Jonathan at 2:00. When my attempts to schedule Feldenkrais lessons with two colleagues failed, I slowed my pace and stopped more frequently for snacks. Just before 2:00 I arrived at Las Delicias where Jonathan and I enjoyed homemade ice cream throughout our conversation.

I’m doing well with the new cleats and pedals but I think the shoes might be a half size too big, despite being the same size and brand (SIDI) as my road bike shoes. The shoes also feel warmer than my road bike shoes. I might try a smaller size, and perhaps a more expensive SIDI mountain bike shoe.

I’m spending the night at the home of Wence Czernecki, a friend from Explorer scouts I haven’t seen since maybe 1976. I met Wence’s wife Debbie and their neighbor Paul who has been following my journey through my blog. Before dinner I had a swim in the lake owned by Wence and Debbie. How wonderful it is to be suspended in the water after a day of riding! (Have I written something to that effect before?)


How is it that a 78-mile day seems not so long, even when it’s my fifth consecutive day riding since my last rest day?

Wence and Debbie Czernecki


Comments

Popular Posts