Riding Day 43 - July 23rd, 2019

Start: Winona, IA
End: Eau Claire, WI
Miles: 85.3
Feet climbing per mile: 28
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37645674

The day began with an invigorating swim in the Mississippi River. I almost forwent the swim because the temperature was about 60 when I rose, but I went ahead with my plan when I found that the water temperature had not dropped from yesterday afternoon.


The swim was followed by 36 miles of riding along or across the Mississippi River. What a beautiful ride it was, on an excellent road surface between mountains and a train track! The day was long due to the head winds. I’ve found that an attitude of no-hurry helps to make the headwinds tolerable.


For the last few days the shifter for my front derailleur has been problematic. The spring that takes up the slack in the cable is no longer as strong as it needs to be, so I take up the slack manually. I’ve gotten good at doing this, but I’ve asked Lori to send both a spare shifter, which I hope is in good condition, and a spare front derailleur, which I think might never have been used, even though it was not sold as new old stock. The bike mechanic who adjusted my rear cones in Greenville, South Carolina, told me that the spring in my front derailleur was weak. Both the shifter and the derailleur will arrive in Chetek this Friday. I’ll arrive there tomorrow and will stay until Sunday morning.

When am I going to learn that anything called a trail is probably not appropriate for my road bike! The beginning of the Chippewa River State Trail was paved, but most of it is gravel that made it impossible to enjoy the scenery as I was fully occupied keeping my bike upright. I saw tonight that the route I have planned from Winona to Chetek includes trails, so I will abandon most of that route and instead using Google Maps driving directions avoiding highways.

Taking a break from the trail

I’m spending the night at the home of my nephew Chris who will ride with me to Chetek. He will be my second riding partner on this trip, the first being Bill Harris who accompanied me from his home in Flint, VA, for several miles. Chris and I rode tonight to a bike shop to have his headset tightened and to buy a water-bottle cage, to a restaurant for dinner, and then home. I think Chris is ready for the 50-mile ride, although the longest ride he’s ever done is 14 miles.

Comments

Popular Posts