Riding Day 37 - July 16th, 2019

Start: Brimfield, IL
End: Gladstone, IL
Miles: 80.7
Feet climbing per mile: 30
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37339896

Today, my third day riding with my new shoes, was the most uncomfortable day I’ve ever spent on a bike. The shoes are too large, and maybe not cut right for me, so they’ve been digging into the fronts of my ankles, with the pain becoming worse and worse. Getting out of the saddle increases the digging into the fronts of the ankles, so my butt became sore as it was difficult to be out of the saddle.


Midway through my ride I called Competitive Cyclist and ordered a pair of shoes in the same style I have and in another style, but one half size size smaller and both by SIDI. I was pleased to learn that I can receive store credit for the shoes I’ve worn for three days. The two new pairs will arrive in Fairfield on Thursday, my rest day. If I’m lucky one of the pairs will fit. If not, I will have my road bike shoes sent from New York. I should not have switched shoes in the middle of the trip.

A few times my route included gravel roads, the rerouting around which increased my riding by several miles.

I saw a Casey’s General Store at about mile 10 and did not go in because it was too early to stop for snacks. I never saw another place to buy any sort of refreshment.

My dinner at Graham’s Tavern in Gladstone was adequate but disappointing. Somehow I had expected something more.

The website for the Henderson County Conservation Area omits any mention of the lack of showers, toilets, and electric outlets. There are outhouses and each campsite has a picnic table. I need to have my hands clean when I remove my contact lenses at night but I will not use my drinking water to wash my hands and so will sleep in my contacts tonight. I have two bars of service with AT&T.

My campsite at the Henderson County Conservation Area

I look forward to having ice cream at Cold Stone in Burlington tomorrow morning (but they will probably be closed), finding other snacks along the way, and having a shower tomorrow afternoon in the home of Jim and Ginger Belilove in Fairfield, IA.

Comments

Popular Posts