Riding Day 39 - July 19th, 2019

Start: Fairfield, IA
End: Grinnell, IA
Miles: 85.3
Feet climbing per mile: 39
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37464277

Today was forecast to be in the mid 90s, so I rose at 5:00, was on the road at 6:00, and finished about 1:40. A wind out of the south-southwest helped me to make good time. I often wished that along the road there were trees, or anything else that would provide shade.

In New Sharon, about 19 miles before the end of my ride, I stopped in a Casey’s General to store to have a Naked Juice Blue Machine. I then had a frozen 24-ounce Mountain Dew. It was so refreshing that I had a second! After that I felt slightly chilled, but when I went outside it felt as if I were in an oven. I completed my ride strongly, helped both by the Mountain Dew and the tailwind.


My feet are still sore from wearing the mountain bike shoes that were too large, which makes it difficult to evaluate the comfort of the smaller mountain bike shoes I wore today.

I'm spending the night in a Best Western motel. For dinner I walked one and a half miles to Casa Margaritas Mexican Restaurant.

Comments

  1. John - Glad you are making progress despite the heat and shoes! I've found the same energy boost from Mountain Dew (out of desperation) on long hot rides, too. I'm not sure if it's the caffeine, sugar or both. Plain old processed sugar seems to get a bad rap in the healthy athletic living world but sure feels like it has it's place in some situations. - Tom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts