Riding Day 47 - July 30th, 2019

Start: Marshfield, WI
End: Stevens Point, WI
Miles: 37.1
Feet climbing per mile: 16
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37950470

Because I had such a short distance to ride today I slept in, loafed through the morning, and finally got on the road just before 2:00. The shifter I installed yesterday worked perfectly, allowing me to get out of the saddle while on the big chainring. It pays to have spare parts.

As I approached a railroad crossing with the gates down and the lights flashing, I saw that there was a train standing still on the track to the left of the road. Soon a train came by from the other side. After it passed the engineer of the train standing still signaled for me and the drivers waiting for the gates to go up to cross the tracks. I appreciated the consideration the engineer showed us by doing that rather than making us wait for his train to cross the road.

The route I had planned was perfect, consisting of lightly travelled roads with excellent surfaces, except for Railroad Drive, which was gravel. It didn’t take me long to reroute.

I’m spending the night in the home of Tom and Peggy Stenborg. Peggy and I lived in a group house in Urbana, IL, when I was a junior at the University of Illinois and Peggy was a music pedagogy student. I met Tom at their wedding in 1978 (I think I have the year right) and hadn’t seen them since I visited them a few years after that. So this was a reunion after about 40 years.

Tom and Peggy Stenborg

After dinner, Tom and I played guitar and sang songs. The other house guest, Michelle, who is here for a Suzuki conference, set up her telescope through which we saw Jupiter and four of its moons, Saturn and its rings, and the International Space Station.

Comments

Popular Posts