Riding Day 34 - July 13th, 2019

Start: Springfield, IL
End: Champaign, IL
Miles: 85.7
Feet climbing per mile: 20
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/37206029

The picture of me below was taken by Mike Macewich in 1973 when we were on a bike trip from Springfield to Chicago. Several months ago, with the help of several officials from the City of Mt. Pulaski, I was able to determine the exact location where the picture was taken. That location is indicated on my route for today with an icon (Elkhart Hill Underpass) shortly after mile 16. With Mike’s help I did my best to recall the route we rode from Riverside Park to the underpass.

At the Elkhart Hill underpass June 27th, 1973

How is it that as I followed the route Mike and I had ridden none of it seemed familiar? Some of the route I rode might not have been what we rode in 1973, but most of it must have been the same. Even the underpass seemed familiar only because of the picture. I felt that I had no direct memory of it. When Mike and I were reconstructing our route, I told him I remembered a fast descent immediately after the underpass. Mike didn’t remember that, but my memory was confirmed as I sped down the hill.

The Elkhart Hill underpass

What graceful movement is made by the many windmills on both sides of the road!

My destination was the home of Lanny Arvan, a classmate from graduate school. Lanny and I hadn’t seen each other for at least 30 years (it might be 39), although we have been in touch through Facebook, and yet it was, as the saying goes, as if it were yesterday. How is that possible? I think it might be because memory does not record time. In order for us to know how long ago something occurred we have to do a calculation. My idea is not well formed but I think I’m onto something.

I met Lanny’s wife Leslie and their son Nathan. Before we enjoyed the dinner Leslie prepared featuring beer-can chicken, Lanny and I took a tour of the University of Illinois campus. I hadn’t been there since I graduated in 1976, and most of the buildings did not exist at that time. So most of the campus was unrecognizable, although the quad was as I remembered it and we were able to find the buildings in which I lived during my junior and senior years. But how strange to drive through a place I lived for two years and to have it be so unfamiliar.

With Lanny Arvan in front of the Illini Union 

Before dinner I replaced my pedals with the new pedals needed for the mountain bike shoes that arrived here a few days ago. I ruined a Prestaratchet attempting to remove a pedal but fortunately I have a spare, and Ace Hardware had a set of hex drivers that included an 8-mm driver with a long arm. Tomorrow morning I will practice with the new shoes, cleats, and pedals before I set off for my next destination.

I’ve now ridden 2053 miles, so I’ve completed about half of my journey.

Comments

Popular Posts