Riding Day 29 - July 6th, 2019

Start: Dover, TN
End: Hillman Ferry Campground
Miles: 44.5
Feet climbing per mile: 75
Record of today’s ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36889560

Last night I knew I might have to ride 78 miles today, so I went to bed early (10:00) and set my alarm for 5:00 with the intention of leaving at at sunrise, about 5:30. Today would be my seventh consecutive riding day since my four rest days in Marietta, and I was overdue for my next rest day. I sent a message to a host on www.warmshowers.org who has accommodations near Grand Rivers. If I could stay with him I could split the 78 miles into two days. I also saw that there is a motel in Grand Rivers, but online reservations required two nights.

I didn’t get out at sunrise but I did leave at 6:00, my earliest departure so far. The road through the Land Between the Lakes reminded me of the Blue Ridge Parkway, except the climbs and descents are much shorter. I’ve never before been on a road with such frequent changes between climbing and descending, which presented an unusual challenge in that I needed to make so many choices about gear shifts. When I get to a computer I might count the number of changes between climbing and descending and compare to other days of my journey.



As I was riding I kept thinking I needed a rest day and that I would like to spend a night in the Land Between the Lakes rather than just riding through this beautiful place. At the visitor center between mile 26 and mile 27, I learned that there was a campsite at the north end which would give me a day of just 45 miles. How perfect this was! I arrived at Hillman Ferry Campground at 10:00.


I chose a campsite close to, and halfway between, the showers and the beach. After setting up my tent, I was swimming at noon. Unlike the enclosed swimming area at Montgomery Bell State Park that was small and had only shallow water, this enclosed area is large and has plenty of deep water.

My campsite at Hillman Ferry Campground

This afternoon I ordered a pair of SIDI mountain bike shoes along with appropriate pedals and cleats, all of which will be shipped to Lanny Arvan, a classmate from graduate school, with whom I’ll stay in Champaign, IL, next Friday.

I considered riding into Grand Rivers for dinner, but decided to forgo the 11-mile round trip and instead make due with the sandwiches and ice cream available in the camp store. I was surprised at how satisfying the packaged cheeseburger tasted after I heated it in the microwave oven.

Riding through the camp to the evening concert I realized that this place is a small city of people living in campers.



Comments

Popular Posts