Day 58: September 1, 2024 - Walden, CO, to Granby, CO

Start: Walden, CO
End: Granby, CO
Miles: 56.7
Feet climbing per mile: 54
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/217422218

Granby is not on the Trans Am Bike Route, but it’s just a few miles from the route. I decided to stay in Granby in order to split the 77 miles between Walden and Kremmling into two days.

I had breakfast in the cafe. I’m starting to think that although I don’t eat breakfast at home, I might need it when on a bike trip, at least when at high elevation. Or maybe I should reinvestigate Keto.

I stopped for water at a store at 22 miles. I had already drunk two water bottles, and at the store drank another two before filling my two water bottles and my water bladder.

Colorado was starting to look colorful, although the roads would continue to have cracks and holes throughout the day. I was glad to see trees again after a long hiatus.


The climb to Willow Creek Pass was difficult (probably due to the elevation), and I did lots of walking. I’ve now crossed the Continental Divide several times.

I saw sine gorgeous rock formations as I descended.

Here’s the view from the other side.

This one reminded me of Stegosaurus.

I was glad the surface of the road was smooth for my descent of several miles near the end of the ride. 

I spent the night at Trail Riders Motel and had dinner at Mavericks.

I love this feature of my room.

This was a hard day, probably due to going from about 8,000 feet to almost 9,780 feet. Will I be able to climb Hoosier Pass, from about 9,000 feet to 11,500 feet? I’ve scheduled one rest day in Frisco before that climb but I’m considering adding two more.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts