Day 80: September 23, 2024 - Ducktown, TN, to Murphy, NC

Start: Ducktown, TN
End: Murphy, NC
Miles: 30.7
Feet climbing per mile: 110?
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/224173266

My original route for this day was 33 miles, so I had the idea it might feel light a rest day. However there would be a lot of climbing which would make it feel more like a training day.

North Carolina could be a contender for the greenest state in the land of the free.

After riding on a lot of backroads with a lot of climbing and sometimes a rough surface, I considered continuing to Murphy on the four-lane main road. However the heavy traffic felt oppressive even though there was a decent shoulder, so I used Google Maps to find a route different from my original that would mostly keep me off the main road. For a few minutes there was a lot of rain.

I saw this sort of plants throughout the day and wonder what they are.

I spent the night at the Sunset Motel, which seems to have a theme.


I ate dinner at ShoeBooties Cafe. After dinner I created a new route to Cherokee that would avoid the main roads. I also revised my plans for the first two days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I find the planning exhausting.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $12,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts