Day 77: September 20, 2024 - Rest Day

Start and End: The Crash Pad
Miles: 13.4
Feet climbing per mile: 65
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/223264306

I love Dollar General! I often stop there to get snacks during my rides, and now they have 100g bars of dark chocolate for just $1.50!

This would be a restful rest day, but there were several things I needed to do. After breakfast at Niedlov’s, I had a phone call with Gwyn at the Isadora Duncan Dance Foundation in which I helped her solve a problem on one of our computers. I then rode to Nooga Paws where I bought a can of dog repellent. The can is too small to fit snugly in my bear-spray cage, but with some Velcro I got from Stephen at Trek Bicycles, conveniently located near Nooga Paws, I was able to make a holder for the repellent.

The repellent slips easily into and out of the Velcro.

Let them eat cake!

When I was at Trek Bicycles the previous day I told Stephen that my air pump had been sometimes acting strangely. He thought one of the pump’s O-rings might be worn, so I rode to Ace Hardware and bought a replacement.

I realized I needed a second rest day, so when I returned to The Crash Pad I said I’d like to stay one more day and asked whether a bottom bunk might be available. I was told the only bunk available was the one I was in. Shall I add an exhortation Make thy reservations while ye may!?

My original plan was to ride to Cherokee in two days, 85 miles the first day and 66 miles the second. I thought the 85-mile day with lots of climbing would be too long, so I revised my routes to take three days: 67 miles, 33 miles, and 59 miles. I also made reservations at motels for all three nights.

I had dinner at Nic & Norman’s Chattanooga. The food was delicious, and unlike all the other restaurants I considered, it was not too noisy, even though it had live music.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $12,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts