Day 66: September 9, 2024 - Denver, CO, to Chicago, IL (by train)

This was an overnight train. Why did I think I would be able to sleep in my coach seat? I’m able to sleep upright during the day but at night I need to be horizontal. I found a pair of seats and attempted to sleep in them and was unable to get comfortable. I also tried sleeping across three seats in the observation car but it was too noisy and bright.

Eventually I found a space on the floor and was able to sleep there.

The train arrived at Union Station shortly after 3:00 p.m. I rode a mile to HI Chicago, a hostel at which I had reserved a bunk that cost me a little less than $150 for two nights. After a shower and shave I had a much-needed nap.

I was joined for dinner by friends from grade school and high school at Gino’s East - South Loop, just a few blocks from HI Chicago. From left to right: York Chan, myself, Mike Court, Mike Guadagno, Roxanne Guadagno, Mike Macewich, Phil Igyarto, Roxanne Laux.

The three Mikes, Roxanne Laux, and I graduated from Our Lady of Grace in 1968. Roxanne Guadagno is Mike Guadagno’s wife. York, Phil, and I graduated from Lane Tech in 1972. The three Mikes all graduated from Weber in 1972.

We had three varieties of deep-dish pizza. I think it was the first time I ate deep-dish pizza in Chicago, or maybe anywhere, in decades. It was fun to introduce my grade school and high school friends to each other. To paraphrase John Lennon, a splendid time was had by all.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $12,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts