Day 67: September 10, 2024 - Rest Day

As is usual for rest days, I was busy throughout this one. My main task was to integrate into my packing the resupply items that had been sent to my grade-school classmate Mike Guadagno. Thanks, Mike, for receiving them and bringing them to dinner.

At the dinner the previous night my high-school classmate York Chan told us that the brownie had been invented by chefs at the Palmer House for the 1893 World’s Fair, and that the brownie was available at the Palmer House. In the morning I walked to the Palmer House where at the bar I had a fancified version of the original brownie.

The bartender confirmed York’s story. In the Palmer House store where they sell a simple version of the brownie I found a sign telling the history.

The brownie was good (although ridiculously priced at the bar at $13) but I think others have made huge improvements on the original recipe.

In the afternoon I walked to Grant Park where I set up my tent to spray it, my other camping gear, and my clothes with Permethrin, which repels ticks.

After returning to the hostel I determined what I would send home (sleeping bag replaced by heavy-duty sleeping bag liner, cold-weather clothes, etc.) and then took those items to the post office.

What a relief it was to accomplish that task!

Outside the post office was a sculpture by Calder. I wonder how many people have climbed it.

I took a bus to the south side where I had dinner with Lori’s cousin Carole, her husband Larry, their daughter Rachel, and their Rachel’s husband Ira. Larry prepared chicken and rice and I think it was Rachel who made the salad. We didn’t watch the debate but Ira reported commentary that he read from his phone. Besides the Tillamook ice cream that was the real dessert, I had brought a Palmer House brownie (the simple version) and told the history of the brownie which nobody knew, although Carole knew a lot about Bertha Palmer. We had planned to take a picture of our group but forgot to do so. I was grateful to Larry for the ride he gave me back to the hostel.

Back at the hostel I organized my gear for an early departure the next day to the train station.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $12,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts