Day 84: September 27, 2024 - Rest Day

I again took advantage of the free breakfast. There I heard stories from local people who are staying in the hotel because they’ve been affected by the heavy rain. One family has brown water coming out of their faucets, while another has four feet of water on three acres of their property.

Around noon the rain stopped and the sun came out so I walked to the nearby Walmart to buy groceries. The sidewalks, roads, and creek showed the effects of the heavy rain.

On my walk back to the hotel a car stopped alongside me. The woman who was driving, and whom I thought worked at the hotel, asked whether I wanted a ride. I didn’t need a ride but I was carrying several bags of groceries and would need to walk up a hill to the hotel so I accepted Lee’s offer. As we passed the entrance to the hotel Lee asked me where I was going and I told her “to the hotel”, and asked “Don’t you work there?”. She did not, and we had a laugh about that. Lee said I was only the second person whom she picked up to give a ride.

Back in my room I enjoyed lunch I prepared from the groceries I had bought to last me through Sunday night.

After lunch I had a nap.

Throughout the afternoon and into the evening there was no cell service and no programming on the TV, so I had no access to news shows, but I heard from others at the hotel that many roads were closed in North Carolina.

Here was the view from my room.


Using my air pump I tested the tire with the tube on which I had put a second patch over the first patch. The air pressure was almost 70 psi, so I concluded that my repair had been successful.

It’s strange to think I might be home one week from today.

This post published using the WiFi at Best Buy

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts