Day 68: September 11, 2024 - Chicago, IL, to Carbondale, IL (by train), to Giant City State Park (by bike)

Start: Carbondale, IL
End: Giant City State Park
Miles: 13.4
Feet climbing per mile: 82
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/220416990

I arrived at Union Station at a time I thought to be plenty early. I told an Amtrak employee I had a ticket for my bike and he told me stay outside a certain waiting area until I heard my train announced. I heard the announcement but I don’t think it included the track number. I headed toward what I thought were Amtrak tracks but someone getting off a train there told me the Amtrak tracks were elsewhere and directed me accordingly. When I got to the correct track I told an Amtrak employee I had a ticket for my bike and he told me where to wait. An Amtrak policeman then asked me whether I had a tag for my bike. Of course I didn’t because nobody had said anything about a tag. The policeman directed me to the Amtrak counter to which I ran to get the tag. I ran back to the track and found the and found an Amtrak employee who showed me the storage car into which I put my bike. When I got into my seat I realized I still had the tag and that it was supposed to be on the bus. I asked a conductor whether the tag needed to be put on the bike to which he replied he wouldn’t tell anyone if I didn’t.

I experienced a lot of unnecessary stress due to the incomplete communication of several Amtrak employees. Despite the initial fiasco the train ride itself was pleasant.

As the train left the station I saw what all Chicagoans know as the Sears Tower.

What happens to all that corn?

My destination was just 13 miles away, but I considered taking a longer route so that I could stop at Rendelman’s to enjoy an apple cider float. Rendelman’s is where I had delicious peach ice cream pints (no longer available) five years ago. The float would have added 16 miles to the ride, so I forwent having it because I didn’t get started riding until 2:15 and it was hot out.

It was a pleasure to ride on a road with tree cover, which has been extremely rare on this trip.

My left cleat broke three miles from my destination. I was about to replace it when I thought I might be able to ride with a cleat cover on the left cleat. That worked quite well, and I even rode a little at the end of my ride with cleat covers on both cleats. That worked too, showing me what to do if both cleats break and I have no spares.

I spent the night in a cabin at Giant City State Park Lodge and had dinner at the restaurant in the lodge.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $12,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts