Day 82: September 25, 2024 - Cherokee, NC, to Waynesville, NC

Start: Cherokee, NC
End: Waynesville, NC
Miles: 15.1
Feet climbing per mile: 245
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/224641890

My first task of the day was to take to the post office the heavy-duty sleeping bag liner that had been replaced by the sleeping bag Bob and Anita brought me. On my walk back from the post office I saw a wild turkey.

After riding a little more than a mile I entered the Blue Ridge Parkway and began a climb of ten miles.

I was soon welcomed by one of the area’s residents (an elk). When I saw his rear end sticking out to the road I stopped and he looked directly at me. I spoke to him kindly and then he went back to eating. I walked slowly away before taking a few pictures and then continuing my ride.


As I was climbing another cyclist on an unloaded bike came racing down, yelling “You got this!” as he went by. I responded “I hope so. I’m going to New York City.”.

I decided to use the same climbing strategy that had been successful on Hoosier Pass: Ride as slowly as possible and stop occasionally to let my heart and breathing slow down. With this strategy I was able to complete the 10-mile climb without walking.

I went through two or three tunnels, all of them rather short.

The rain was coming.

First there was drizzle, then light rain, then a downpour. Maybe twice I found shelter to the side of the road under a tree. When I took shelter in the final tunnel I encountered I removed my windbreaker and short-sleeve shirt which was totally soaked (I hadn’t put on the windbreaker as soon as the rain started), dried myself with my micro-fiber towel which I got from my waterproof trunk bag, and put on my long-sleeve wool shirt which I also got from my trunk bag. I put my windbreaker back on after wiping its inside with the towel. My hands were cold as I resumed my ride and began a descent of three miles.

The other side of the barrier below said ROAD CLOSED. This was an indication of serious trouble.

I continued past the barrier, eventually coming to a barrier with the ROAD CLOSED sign now facing toward me. There were a few vehicles parked nearby. A man sitting in his jeep told me the Parkway was closed because of severe weather due to Hurricane Helene. I told Craig I was headed to a motel in Waynesville and he showed me how I could get there without taking the Parkway. When he said it involved roads with plenty of traffic and no shoulder, I asked him whether he would drive me there and he immediately said he would. I removed the front wheel, the handlebar bag, and the trunk bag, and then we slipped my bike into the back seat. After a short drive (shown in grey on the map below) we arrived at the Best Western.

The rain continued without interruption. I attempted to obtain dinner from a restaurant through a delivery service but was unable to do so. My dinner consisted of popcorn and cookies I got when I arrived at the hotel, along with a chocolate bar, a small bag of Fritos, and a small bag of pretzels.

In the morning, before starting my ride, I retested the tube that had dropped from 70 psi to 40 psi and to 30 psi and now saw a small bubble of air escaping from the edge of the patch I had applied in Chattanooga. After dinner I applied a patch centered on the location of the bubble, installed the tube in my front tire, and inflated it to 70 psi. If the pressure stays near 70 then I will know that the repair is successful.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the cost of my trip (which I now expect to be at least $14,000) by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts