Day 29: August 3, 2024 - Council, ID, to Riggins, ID

Start: Council, ID
End: Riggins, ID
Miles: 61.4
Feet climbing per mile: 37
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/208558248

When my alarm went off at 5:00 I pressed the snooze button. When it went off ten minutes later I turned it off and slept until 5:30. As I got up I thought the I would still be able to be on the road at 6:30 as planned. Instead I did not leave until 6:50. Even with all the packing I had done the night before it took one hour and twenty minutes to pack up my campsite.

It was 70 degrees as I began the day’s ride. I had earlier tasted and smelled smoke and saw that the air quality index was 77, whereas the previous day it had been less than 50.

From Council to New Meadows I dealt with two of the three Hs: headwinds and hills. Furthermore there was no shoulder. Traffic was light to moderate, and on the early steep climb I found it difficult to keep track of traffic approaching from the rear while struggling with the ascent. I therefore acted like a pedestrian and rode against traffic. If the approaching vehicles moved over I would continue riding. When I saw they were not moving over, usually because there was traffic approaching in the other lane, I would pull off the road and stop. I found this strategy quite successful and will use it again when needed.

As I left New Meadows I saw a sign indicating construction ahead. Often construction works in my favor because there is sometimes a closed lane in which I can ride without having to deal with traffic. In this case there was no construction. Instead the road now consisted of new asphalt with a generous shoulder, although the yellow and white lines had not yet been fully painted.

Not too long ago I spent a night in Halfway, Oregon. Now I was halfway between the equator and the North Pole.

This was the first time I had ever seen cows fighting. Or were they young bulls?

The final 20 miles were all downhill. There was a curving segment without any shoulder on which I took the lane while racing down the hill and holding traffic behind me. After a while I found a place to pull over to let the traffic past. I was glad that all the drivers seemed to have been understanding of my situation.

After leaving New Meadows I dealt with only the third H, heat, but only during the final ten miles.

This was a rock formation unlike any I had seen on this trip.

I continue to be amazed by the open space.

When I arrived at the Riverview Motel about 1:30, I was told by Valerie that checkin was not until 4:00. But then she told me that mine was the first room she had cleaned and that it was available and and on the ground floor.

During my ride I realized that the last time I felt good on my bike was during the first half of the ride the day my rack broke. That was eight days ago. I also realized that the four rest days due to smoke and the five rest days waiting for the new rack were actually stress days, not rest days. So I decided I would take a rest day in Riggins.

After I checked in to my room I walked down to the river.

Here are the stairs up to the motel.

I had dinner at the Seven Devils Bar & Steakhouse. While sitting at a bar enjoyed conversation with Ryan and Lynn who told me about a nearby beach where there’s swimming in the Salmon River. What a treat that will be!

I went to bed (at midnight!) looking forward to a true rest day.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts