Day 43: August 17, 2024 - West Fork Cabin Camp, MT, to West Yellowstone, MT

Start: West Fork Cabin Camp, MT
End: West Yellowstone, MT
Miles: 37.9
Feet climbing per mile: 53
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/212883883

During the night it got down to 40 degrees (or was the temperature lower than that?). I had camped before at that temperature and had felt cold but not as cold as this night. I suspect it had something to do with me not being acclimate to the elevation. Here I was at 5200 feet. I got very little sleep.

The zipper whose teeth have not been engaging properly has now completely failed, its slider broken in two.

I secured the bag with a pair of zip ties.

I’ve been in touch with Ortlieb, the manufacturer of all my bags, about a repair and replacement.

The ride this day was not a long one but having slept poorly I had little energy. I wasn’t in much of a mood to take pictures or video but a few times the beauty required that I do so.

I made several stops along the way to rest and to refill my water bottles. At one such place I was disappointed that Montain Dew was not available, but I tried a Monster energy drink and liked it.

I had seen signs indicating a speed limit of 70 for cars, 65 for trucks, and now 55 for bison.

The last several miles before West Yellowstone had heavy traffic including some big trucks. I was tired and it was rush hour. Some of the time I rode on a jeep trail that ran parallel to the main road, other times I rode one the shoulder against traffic.

Have you ever been in a motel with no hangers? How about a motel with no place to hang the hangers? At the Yellowstone Country Inn I had to ask the front desk for three hangers and then used the curtain rod and light switch on which to hang the hangers. Pathetic!

And the curtains cannot completely cover the widow

I was in room 123. I saw that rooms 125 and 126 both have hangers and a place to hang them. I will post a scathing review and attempt to get at least a partial refund of what I paid  

I remembered that Kenneth, whom I met in Ennis the previous day, told me he stayed at a motel in Yellowstone for $100 cash. I emailed him about this and he told me it was in West Yellowstone. Too bad I hadn’t asked him for the details sooner in which case I could have avoided this $200 motel without a place to hang a hanger. I went to the Ho Hum Motel and got the $100 cash deal for the next night. I need a rest day after that cold sleeplessness night.

I ate dinner at Madison Crossing Lounge. Seated at the bar next to me was a man who left unfinished one third of his meat loaf, half his potatoes, and most of his vegetables. After his plate was taken away he ordered a dessert. He is obviously not on a bike trip.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts