Day 41: August 15, 2024 - Dillon, MT, to Virginia City, MT

Start: Dillon, MT
End: Virginia City, MT
Miles: 56.7
Feet climbing per mile: 32
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/212095166

I was up at 7:00 and took my time packing leisurely. I discovered that  my water bladder, when not filled, can be stored inside the blue stuff sack and the blue stuff sack stored inside the orange stuff sack holding my cold-weather riding clothing. This makes for a more compact load secured with bungee cords on top of the trunk bag.

About halfway to Twin Bridges the Beaverhead Rock caught my attention.


As I went around the curve I realized that Beaverhead Rock extended much farther than I originally thought.

The video doesn’t show it but the horses seemed curious about me. When I stopped in front of them they all walked toward me.

In Twin Bridges I stopped at The Shack and enjoyed their chocolate lava cake.

As I rode into Virginia City there was a threat of rain. I had planned to stay at the Rambling Moose Campground about a mile beyond the city, but I decided instead to stay at the Fairweather Inn right in the midst of all the interesting historical buildings. The Fairweather is a charming old-fashioned hotel.

The legs of the chair in my room were loose so I tightened the bolts holding them. It was fortunate that the bolts were metric.

I ate dinner at the Wells Fargo Steakhouse & Eatery.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts