Day 48: August 22, 2024 - Colter Bay, WY, to Jackson, WY


Start: Colter Bay, WY
End: Jackson, WY
Miles: 40.7
Feet climbing per mile: 29
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/214178364

At dinner the previous night I happened to check the air quality for the surrounding area and discovered there was a wildfire whose smoke made it impossible to ride to Dubois from the expensive cabin I had booked for the next day. I started to think about options for getting around the smoke, including riding a different route, taking a bus, and renting a car. I went to bed not knowing how the next day (this one) would go.

In the morning I heard from one of the campground employees that it had gotten down to 36 in the night. No wonder I had trouble sleeping, although I didn’t feel as bad as the night I spent at West Fork.

Shortly after 6:30 I walked to the restaurant to have breakfast and figure out how to avoid the smoke. It took more than three stressful hours to determine that I would stay in Jackson, Daniel Junction, Farson, and Atlantic City, before riding to Jeffrey City at which point I would be back on my original route. In each of the locations I made a reservation for a motel.

I finally got on the road at 1:15. Jackson was only 40 miles away, so I wasn’t concerned about my late start.

My route to Jackson afforded me views of the Teton Range.

Along the way I met John, who had a passenger, Peter. I had seen them on either the first or second day of this trip, when they were traveling toward Portland as I was headed to Astoria. I had asked where they were going and John said “New York”, but he didn’t stop to talk. What a treat and what a surprise to see them again! This time we exchanged contact info.

A large portion of the day’s ride was on a beautifully-paved bike path parallel to the road.

I stayed at The Cache House, which provides bunk beds, drawers, lockers, showers, and bathrooms to travelers. It’s super clean and super cool. I hadn’t slept in an upper bunk since I was a kid.


I ate dinner at Liberty Burger.

As of this writing I have not written blog posts for the previous two days, but will do so as soon as possible.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts