Day 36: August 10, 2024 - Missoula, MT, to Darby, MT

Start: Missoula, MT
End: Darby, MT
Miles: 64.8
Feet climbing per mile: 29
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/210689209

I was up at 7:30 and on the road at 9:00. I was again glad for the bike path from Missoula to Lola which actually continued all the way to Hamilton. South of Lolo there such frequent patches across the path that for a while I rode the wide shoulder paved with chipseal.

My first stop, at about 22 miles, was for a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie at Glen’s Cafe. This time, unlike others, I had the pie warmed, which caused the ice cream to melt. I will remember that for next time.

Often I found the mountains and the open space to be magnificent.


I stopped in Hamilton at Angler’s Roost RV & Campground where I explained to Carol, with whom I had recently spoken on the phone, why I was continuing to Darby. On the phone Carol had advised me, when inquiring about the availability of a tent site, to always say that I’m traveling by bike because I might be accommodated in a situation where someone with a car or camper might not.

After Hamilton the bike path ended but from there to Darby highway 93 had an excellent shoulder.

The mountains were now closer.

As I entered Darby I saw and heard a bird in its nest.

The bird flew away, returned, and then flew away again.

Can you identify the bird? Might there be young birds in the nest?

I arrived at Travellers Rest Cabins & RV Park at 3:20.

I had dinner at the Sawmill Bar. As I walked back to my campsite at about 7:30 it was about 70 degrees and felt quite chilly. What happened to the extreme heat?

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts