Day 30: August 4, 2024 - Rest Day

Start and End: Riggins, ID
Turnaround: Shorts Bar Recreation Site
Miles: 5.7
Feet climbing per mile: 41
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/208909519

I was up at 5:00 despite not going to bed until midnight. Because of all the delays I've had, before going to bed I started to investigate the possibility of taking an AMTRAK train from Granby, CO (west of Denver) to Carbondale, IL, which would let me avoid riding through the flat straight windy roads of eastern Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri. I could ride 84 miles to Granby after reaching Alma, CO. Another possibility would be to ride 31 miles from Kremmling, CO, to Granby, but then I would not reach the 11,542-foot summit of Hoosier Pass. In the morning I verified that I can take my bike on the train without putting it in a box.

To make hot water or tea that doesn't taste like coffee, remove the container for the grounds and lift the lid of the carafe.

In the morning I made plans for the next two days, reserving a tent site for the next day and a motel room for the day after that. How different this trip is from the one I took five years ago when I made only one reservation for a campground, and reservations for  motels only when I was a few hours away.

Swimming in the Salmon River was so refreshing. I first swam with the current and then against it. Those salmon are bad asses!

How was the kayaker able to maintain his position in the current?

This was truly a rest day.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts