Day 46: August 20, 2024 - West Yellowstone, MT, to Grant Village, WY

Start: West Yellowstone, MT
End: Grant Village, WY
Miles: 53.4
Feet climbing per mile: 69
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/213850650

I awoke refreshed and eager to ride through Yellowstone. The two consecutive rest days had clearly paid off.

As I entered Yellowstone I bought a lifetime membership in the national parks, which I should have done five years ago when I entered Shenandoah National Park.

There was heavy enough rain for a little while that I pulled off the road for a few minutes despite signs saying that was prohibited. After the rain stopped it was sunny for the rest of the day.

I was fortunate to see a bison. After I stopped shooting the video the bison walked across the road and lay down. I regret that I stopped shooting so soon.

Yellowstone has many geysers besides Old Faithful .


Yellowstone also has interesting features besides geysers.

I think Old Faithful erupted more or less according to schedule.

Do you need a crowbar?

On this trip I will cross the continental divide several times.

Since there was no shoulder through Yellowstone, I was glad that the speed limit was only 35 or 45.

I camped at Grant Village, where the showers were closer to the restaurant than to my campsite, so I took a shower on the way to dinner.

I found the contrast between West Yellowstone and Yellowstone quite striking. While West Yellowstone for the most part seemed to be artificial and tacky, Yellowstone was real and primal.

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts