Day 45: August 19, 2024 - Rest day

I woke up feeling like I could have ridden the 52 miles to my next destination, Grant Village, this day. That’s an indication that the previous day’s rest is working, and that the next day I could feel good riding to Colter Bay.

Before going to bed I noticed that my right off-bike shoe, the one that has been repaired twice by cobblers and once by me, needs repair in two more places. I probably should have kept the almost-new off-bike shoes that were sent in the recent resupply package.

I confirmed that Bustang runs a bus from Frisco to Denver that costs just $12 and that bikes can be carried on the bus without being packed in a box and without any extra charge.

I’ve had a cut on my right thumb that has been slow to heal so I’m now using Bactine Liquid Bandage and hope that will speed the healing. 

I used fishing line to repair two places in my right off-bike shoe.



Following the example of the shoemaker who repaired my shoe in Missoula, I covered the stitches with the waterproof tape I got from Sarah.


Having a huge appetite, I had a 10-inch pizza for breakfast and mushroom raviolis for lunch.

My latest test of the repair to my water bladder indicates that the repair is holding.

I had dinner for the third time at the Madison Crossing Lounge. Afterwards I heard singing outside and walked towards it. Note the super moon in the clear sky.

This trip has been much more challenging than I had anticipated. To some extent that’s due to the smoke from the fires, the extreme heat, the broken rack, and the changes in elevation. It might also be due to me being five years older than I was on my trip in 2019, to having had Covid three times, and to the eight months of inflammation and stiffness I experienced in 2022.

This was my third night in West Yellowstone. I very much needed two rest days. Tomorrow I will see Old Faithful!

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts