Day 34: August 8, 2024 - Powell Junction, ID, to Missoula, MT

Start: Powell Junction, ID
End: Missoula, MT
Miles: 57.2
Feet climbing per mile: 39
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/209961696

I got up at 6:00 (Pacific time), got dressed, and then crawled back into my sleeping bag because it was chilly. When I emerged from my tent one of the morning activities was to true the rear wheel which had a few spokes with no tension.

Finally someone got the message right!

I was on the road at 9:45, which was rather late but I knew the day would be cool. I knew the climb over Lolo Pass would start at about mile 8 and extend for five miles, so I took it easy for the first eight miles of gentle ascent. The climb up Lolo Pass was steep, and made more challenging both by the new chipseal providing high rolling resistance, and the lack of any usable shoulder. I walked some and did most of the riding against traffic, as I’ve written before.

At the summit was a visitors’ center with hot chocolate.


Shortly after enjoying my hot chocolate and entering Montana I began an exciting fast descent that lasted a few miles.

I contrast to both Oregon and Idaho, Montana has lots of trees and enormous rock formations.


I just can’t resist.

It seems that Montana has had wildfires, too.

Maxwell wasn’t around but his silver hammer could do a lot of damage if it came down on someone’s head.


I had expected that the long easy descent after the short fast descent would make for an easy ride of 32 miles into Lolo. Nope! The headwinds more than counteracted any advantage from the gentle descent so I had to work hard while riding downhill. I was glad for the bike path that began shortly before Lolo which allowed me to get away from the rush-hour traffic.

If it hadn’t been for the bike path that ran parallel to highway 12-93 from Lolo to Missoula, I would have forfeited both nights at the airbnb n Missoula. Riding 12-93 would have been a nightmare.

I arrived at the airbnb hosted by Jennipha at 5:45 Mountain Time. I looked forward to having a rest day after four days of hard riding.

As I was walking to Ciao Mambo, where I would eat dinner, a boy with a full head of curls whose age I guessed to be twelve called out “Do you like The Beatles? You look like someone who likes The Beatles!”. I told him I loved The Beatles.

Yeah (G), yeah (F#), yeah (E), YEAH (G, E, D)!!!

While eating dinner I again saw the boy, this time in the restaurant. He told me his name was “Lewis” and when I asked his age, that he was 14. Lewis told me he loves The Beatles and that he’s going to be in a show in which all the music is by The Beatles and that he has a few solos. I later sent him links to videos of my 2011 Valentine’s Day performance of Chopin Preludes and Beatles love songs. I hope I get to see video of his performance.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts