Day 31: August 5, 2024 - Riggins, ID, to Grangeville, ID

Start: Riggins, ID
End: Grangeville, ID
Miles: 49.5
Feet climbing per mile: 76
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/209113268

I was up with my alarm at 5:45 and on the road at 6:35. Except that I was again soon in the Pacific time zone, so maybe I got up at 4:45.

The first thirty miles of the day’s ride was a gentle descent, mostly along the Salmon River, and always with beautiful scenery and a good shoulder.


Soon I came to a section of 95 being paved. I rode immediately beyond the pilot car for the one-mile single-lane section of highway. The new asphalt continued for several miles after that and was a pleasure on which to ride.

I left 95 for Old 95 because the climb would be longer but less steep.

The bridge in the picture carries U.S. 95. I took the picture while coming into White Bird, looking back (because of where the sun was).

In White Bird I ate some snacks and filled my water bottles. I figures that I did not need to fill my water bladders.

A ten-mile climb began shortly after leaving White Bird. The surface of Old 95 was well-worn chipseal rather than new asphalt, but there was almost no traffic, which made the climbing so much easier.

As I left White Bird I thought the clouds were especially beautiful.

When I saw the road going up in the picture below I thought that I would have to walk it, but that turned out to be not the case. You probably have to zoom in to see the road.

Here’s what I saw as I looked down after riding the section I thought I would walk.

Here’s what I saw as I looked down after riding through most of the switchbacks.

Old 95 rejoined 95 for about a mile. What a contrast it was climbing with and without traffic! After leaving 95 there was another mile of climbing on Old White Bird Hill Road, followed by a fast winding descent of about six miles.

Shortly before Old 95 joined 95 again, I met a cyclist riding the Trans Am route in the other direction. I told Ryan about my plan to take a train to Denver after summiting on Hoosier Pass. He told me there’s a bus (Bustang) that runs from Breckenridge (just before Hoosier Pass) to Denver that carries bikes without them being boxed. This will save me the need to ride about 100 miles to Denver.

I arrived at Bear Den RV Resort about 12:30 (Pacific time). The weather had been cool throughout my ride, so I had to deal with only one of the Hs. I set up my tent on soft grass with plenty of shade.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts