Day 42: August 16, 2024 - Virginia City, MT, to West Fork Cabin Camp, MT

Start: Virginia City, MT
End: West Fork Cabin Camp, MT
Miles: 49.5
Feet climbing per mile: 58
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/212476542

I was up at 7:00.

I had noticed that my trunk bag has been sliding forward on the rails of the rack, but I decided to delay adjusting the trunk bag.

I noticed that my left biking shoe needed repair.

I repaired the shoe with some of the waterproof tape Sarah, whom I met as she was riding west, gave me a few days ago.

I then went on a quick tour of Virginia City, taking one picture in each of the old buildings.














There’s also a museum, but as you can see from the pictures above, most of Main Street is itself a museum.

The ride began with a challenging 3.5-mile climb, much of which I walked. The climb didn’t seem so steep, so I started to think that the challenge might be the result of me not being acclimated to the elevation.

Here’s a picture of the last part of the climb.

After the climb came a fast descent of eight miles. It’s a lot of work to descend fast for so long when the motorized traffic is moving at 70 miles per hour.

In Ennis I met Kenneth who was biking east to west. We found a place to both have a piece of pie with ice cream. Sorry, no picture of the pie and ice cream.

I stopped at Dream Drift Flies which had a convenience store. I told Brad, the owner, where I planned to camp. When I told him I planned to eat at the Grizzly Bar & Grill he said I needed to have a reservation. I tried to get one but none were available at an appropriate time. I bought some tuna in packets that could be torn open for my dinner because the food where I would camp was very limited.

Shortly after leaving Dream Drift Flies it seemed the stones I was sometimes rolling over made too much of a bump. I checked my rear tire and found that its pressure was only 20 psi rather than 75. I was able to increase the pressure to 30 but then it would start to decrease. I found a good place to replace the tube.

There's the culprit!

I knew the camp store where I was headed was scheduled to close and 6:000 and that I would not get there until later than that. I was lucky to have service to be able to call and ask Billy to keep the store open until I arrived.

There had been headwinds since I left Ennis but after changing the tube they were stronger.

Here are the views of the West Fork of the Madison River as I crossed the single-lane bridge into the campground.


At the camp store I bought some chips and a pint of ice cream to supplement the food I had bought earlier. I ate the ice cream as soon as I got to my campsite.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts