Day 44: August 18, 2024 - Rest day

I began the day by repairing the tube that had been punctured the previous day. When the repair was complete I installed the tube in my front tire. Can you think of why I would go through the trouble of removing the good tube in the front tire and installing the repaired tube which requires inflating it with my small hand pump which is a tiring task?

A few days ago I notice that my trunk bag was not mounted to the rack tightly enough, so I adjusted the mounting mechanism so that it would be tighter.

Throughout the afternoon I felt tired and did not look forward to the prospect of riding 52 miles to Grant Village the next day. As I left for dinner I went to the Ho Hum office and paid for another day.

The weather forecast for the next few days shows a low of 50 in Yellowstone. My next two destinations, Grant Village and Colter Bay, have campgrounds with hiker-biker sections costing just $8 and $13 per night. I plan to camp at both locations and hope that I’ll be able to get decent sleep. Provided I can  do that those locations with their low prices would be perfect for rest days if I need them.

I spent some time studying the elevation changes I’ve made since leaving Missoula August 10th, and the elevation changes I will experience between here and Hoosier Pass. In Missoula I was at 3200 feet and now I’m at 6700 feet, so I went up 3500 feet in one week, and during that week I was up as high as 7400 feet.

Between here and Kremling, Colorado, the highest elevation is 8700 feet at the Tugwotee Pass. When I  was home I planned to ride 65 miles from Colter Bay to Dubois, Wyoming, but I now see that I need to split that day into two in order to share the 16-mile climb from 7,000 feet to 9,500 feet between two days. In order to do this I will need to spend a night at the expensive Tugwotee Mountain Lodge.

After Dubois my biggest concern is the 14.6-mile climb of 2300 feet up to Hoosier Pass.

I find West Yellowstone to be a tacky tourist trap. The signs on all the businesses are gross. I considered having dinner somewhere other than the Madison Crossing Lounge where I ate the previous night, but the food was good there and so was the ambience (in contrast to the general tackiness of the town) so I returned.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts