Day 32: August 6, 2024 - Grangeville, ID, to Lowell, ID

Start: Grangeville, ID
End: Lowell, ID
Miles: 47.5
Feet climbing per mile: 26
Record of the day's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/209443967

I was up at 5:40 (Pacific time) and had a leisurely morning that included modifying my planning spreadsheet to take into account riding a train from Denver to Carbondale. It appears that taking that train will shorten my trip by about two weeks.

Today is exactly one month since I left Portland. What a month it has been!

I was on the road about 9:15, not all that early but early enough that I expected to arrive at the campground before the cafe closed at 2:00. The first fifteen miles consisted of a gentle descent, although there were a few short, easy climbs along the way. In the past days I’ve been riding through mountains, but not early today.


However that soon changed.

After fifteen miles of gentle descent there was a much steeper descent of four miles through spectacular scenery.

The descent was so winding that I had to check my speed by braking much of the time, so the descent was not as fast as I had anticipated based on looking at the profile of the route.

After the winding descent I rode six miles along the beautiful South Clearwater River.

In Kooskia (pronounced KOO-skee) I stopped at the Kooskia Cafe to enjoy their blackberry pie.

The remaining twenty-three miles were along the middle fork of the Clearwater River. There was no shoulder but the traffic was light and well-behaved.

As I rode along the Clearwater I continued to look for somewhere there might be easy access where I could put my feet in the water. A little less than nine miles from my destination I saw a beach with easy access. Of course I went for a swim.

Instead of changing into a pair of my Lycra underwear that serve as a swimsuit, I went into the river wearing my biking shorts. A man with whom I spoke told me the drop off was quick and that he had swum across the river and back. Because of the current I didn’t dare do that, but I did swim in deep water parallel to, and close to, the shore. How refreshing it was to swim in the river!

Shortly after swimming I saw a hazard in the other lane and removed it.


I knew that the restaurant would be closed and that the cafe would be open only until 2:00. I expected to arrive in  plenty of time before 2:00, and I would have done so, except for the swimming. Instead I arrived about 2:15. Fortunately I was able to order food at the cafe despite it being closed.

As I arrived I met two cyclists, Matt and Paula, also riding the Trans Am route but in the other direction. As we were checking in Paula heard my name and said “I know you from Facebook! I’ve been reading your posts about your planning of this trip.” Well how about that!

In the last three days I’ve had a real rest day and two fabulous riding days, and I’ve made a plan to take a train in order to skip some flat, straight, windy, and boring riding. I’ve feel like I’ve got my groove back.

See all of my daily routes here: Cross Country 2024

Follow my progress on this map. Click VIEW ALL and then pinch the map to see my progress from the start in Portland.

Follow me on Facebook here.

If my blog posts provide you with vicarious pleasure, please consider making even a small contribution towards the $10,000 cost of my trip by clicking the GoFundMe graphic below. Every contribution helps!

Please share my blog with anyone you think might be interested.

If you post a comment, please identify yourself,
preferably by using your Google account.

Subscribe to this blog

Comments

Popular Posts